Same-sex Spouses can file for Immigration Benefits

posted Jul 3, 2013, 5:04 AM by Michael Vosilla   [ updated Jul 3, 2013, 5:05 AM ]

Pursuant to a statement from Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, as a result of the Supreme Court’s Defense of Marriage Act (“DOMA”) decision, same-sex married couples will enjoy the same immigration benefits of opposite-sex married couples.  This means that a United States citizen, or permanent resident, in a same-sex marriage can file an immigrant visa petition on behalf of their alien spouse in order to allow the alien spouse to obtain legal permanent residence, or a Green Card.

If you are in a same-sex relationship and may be able to benefit from this decision, please contact one of our immigration attorneys to set up a free half hour consultation.  Our immigration lawyers have already begun the process of filing petitions for an immigrant visa on behalf of same-sex couples.